Monday, March 5, 2007

Bloggs in the primary classroom

What are your thoughts for blogging in the primary classroom? Whats steps should the teacher take when beginning a blogg at the primary level? Pertaining to adminstration questions that the teacher should ask when starting a blogg.

8 comments:

Teaching to Learn said...

The idea of discussing blogging with administrators who have never been a part of it makes me a little leary, also. I think that one of the biggest things we can do is first inform them of what it is about. We have been given a lot of information in this class, through articles that we have read and discussions, that we can show our administrators to inform them as well as show them the facts that we can monitor who and what is said before any of our students see it. We can also present the excitement in the students to do this that we have found. Classroom discussion is always a good thing, even if it is presented in a way that our administrators may not have encountered before. The use of technology seems to be a hot topic in many schools, and I think that given the proper information and reasoning for doing this, any administrator would be happy to let you try it out!

coach 28 said...

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Some administrators are really up to date with technology, but others lack the skills needed to even understand where we are coming from. It would be a good idea to inform them in all possible ways about what will be taking place. I would think it would also be good to provide alot of positive points, just to add some encouragement.

backtotheclassroom said...

a question from a secondary teacher- what are the keyboarding skills like for an elementary student and how much can be expected in writing a blog? Just curious, because it seems that blogging really lends itself to a middle school and beyond level but I don't know much about the computer/keyboarding/writing expectations for a primary student.

LFernald said...

I think it is very important to give the administrators the information they need to make decisions about what technologies we include in our schools. Showing by example is a good way to get Administrators involved. Finding ways that will get them involved in the technology will bring them onboard faster. At the same time, it is important to make sure you communicate with administrators who want to add all the new technology but not spend the time providing professional development to the staff.

LFernald said...

Keyboarding skill are an important fact to this technology. I believe the sooner we get kids using typing programs the more the teachers can implement this technology. There are also tools out there that all ow for voice to text, so students can use the technology but don't necessarily have to do all the typing.

coach 28 said...

The keyboarding skills of a primary level student are very limited. That may cause some difficulty and make the process more time consuming.

Anonymous said...

I like the whole concept of "blogging" as a means for students to communicate and share their work.
For me personally, I would like to spend more time researching the entire process and work on what I would like posted.
I like the idea of the letter that was in our textbook introducing the parents to "blogging" and Web 2.0. I definitely want to use these applications, but I would have to sit down and almost curriculum map the steps I would take to present this idea to the Administration, Teachers, parents and students.
I think I would really need to plan it out thoroughly because the "digital immigrants" as they say would really need some detailed explanations about what this is and how it would be used to benefit everyone who would be involved.
If presented in the correct way, I think teachers, parents, students and Administrators would be as excited to use "blogging" as I am.
I am fortunate that my principal will support any "new ideas" that I would like to try.
Sometimes I think it is an individual choice. Some people love to be involved in the latest technology, others are not so eager.

Anonymous said...

Blogs in the primary grades may not be such a big concern. The students in my computer class can type, not on the homerow keys, but they can do it. I would maybe suggest simple sentences with a theme or very short stories. See the Snowman Stories by First Graders on my blog. The students may not be able to respond to others on that level but they could see their own stories posted and be very proud of themselves.